Sunday, August 29, 2010

One Year in LA

O all wide places, far from feverous towns!
Great shining seas! pine forests! mountains wild!
Rock-bosomed shores! rough heaths! and sheep-cropt downs!
Vast pallid clouds! blue spaces undefiled!
Room! give me room! give loneliness and air!
Free things and plenteous in your regions fair.

O God of mountains, stars, and boundless spaces!
O God of freedom and of joyous hearts!
When thy face looketh forth from all men's faces,
There will be room enough in crowded marts;
Brood thou around me, and the noise is o'er;
Thy universe my closet with shut door.

Heart, heart, awake! the love that loveth all
Maketh a deeper calm than Horeb's cave.
God in thee, can his children's folly gall?
Love may be hurt, but shall not love be brave?--
Thy holy silence sinks in dews of balm;
Thou art my solitude, my mountain-calm.

~George MacDonald, from Longing

I came upon this poem shortlybefore moving out here, and it spoke to me through my fears of moving to an urban area. Fears I am still working to overcome, but who isn't a work in progress? I've been here in LA for exactly a year now. Aug 29, 2009 was my first full day in Los Angeles; and also the day I found my home church, Ecclesia, after 10 years of searching for one. I cannot fully express how good God has been to me this past year, although I've been trying to in previous posts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment